Thursday, May 10, 2012

May 8 Hiker Heaven


Zero at Saufleys. A place like no other. Donna and Jeff Saufley add new meaning to the term Trail Angel. Donna has a great system to include clothes to change into while she washes your laundry, bikes to ride into town for resupply, A horse trailer, mobil homes, and tents to spend a peaceful night, BBQ area, shower, and more hiker boxes than hikers.



Hiker Boxes arranged by categories
I stayed in the horse trailer the first night, then moved into the trailer after Tent Wrestler left.







The day was spent making repairs to gear. My shoes are starting to fall apart so I shoe-gooed, and duck-taped them. I will get a new pair when I get to Tehachapi.

I caught up on blogging, email and phone calls. We made 3 trips into town for resupply and lunch and enjoyed a root beer float at the Sweetwater Cafe.



I shopped for the best fresh salad ingredients and made a spinach and everything-but-the-kitchen sink salad for dinner for all. (mom withdrawals attacking again). It was well received.
With soaring temperatures we are planning a 4am start tomorrow with hopes of making the 27 miles to the Anderson's by day's end.

Happy Trails goodbye and thank you Donna and Jeff!



Heart

2 comments:

  1. Wow what a great set up the Saufleys' have! That's so great to find people so committed to helping you guys out. Can't believe your shoes are falling apart already! I guess you have put quite a few miles on them in the last year though. You look like you're getting pretty tan already too! Jealous about the root beer float, that sounds delicious! Trying to be good though, my coach re-measured me yesterday and I've lost 3 inches and 2% body fat in the last 5 weeks so far! So that's pretty motivating. We should have done before and after measurements on you--can you imagine?! Anyway, glad to hear you're still as peppy as ever. Love, Stef

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told Rockin' to let you know, but I'm hoping to talk or FaceTime with you when you get to her place. You're doing awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete