Friday, May 25, 2012

May 23, 24 Lone Pine and More Trail Magic

May 24
Got a 4:45am start with Eagle Eye and watched the sun rise over the Sierra mountains as we left Kennedy Meadows. Donkey Legs left shorty after and we leap-frogged with him during the next 2 days. He plans to go straight through the Sierras without going into town so we parted company today. Our plan was to hike 20 miles a day and get in to Horseshoe Meadow Campground on Friday then try to get a hitch down the 22 miles and 6000' into the town of Lone Pine. It would be a hard hitch this time of year as the hiking season doesn't really begin here until mid-June and that is the only reason to travel the road leading to the campground. But I was optimistic and by going in to town I could get my ice axe, snow baskets for my poles, and resupply my food for the next leg, there-by only requiring me to carry 3 days worth of food instead of 7. That saves me from carrying so much unwanted weight. We walked 25 miles, including over 5000' elevation on Wednesday. Much further than planned but we were low on water so pressed on to the next water resource to eat our dinner then hiked a little farther to a great campsite. Now that we are in bear country we will not eat at our campsite so we can avoid attracting unwanted guests. Our food and all items with a scent will go in our bear canisters and just before we go to sleep we will hide the canister 50-100' from our tent in a crack of rock or inconspicuous place.



Barricade Bear Canister



Fresh bear tracks across the trail

At 10,400' altitude the temperature was quite a bit colder at night but I slept like a rock after Wednesday's long hard day.



Kern river



South Fork Kern Bridge

We stopped here to take a much needed break and watched a colony of swallows in their nests under the bridge

On Thursday we were in position to get to Horseshoe Meadow by late afternoon and Eagle Eye had his heart set on pizza for dinner. Once again we planned an early start. The evening temperature dropped with the sun and by morning we were eager to get moving. Eagle Eye is tall and very thin and hiked briskly ahead to warm up. I hiked alone all day enjoying the scenery and taking a lot of photos.



Beautiful Mountain Views



Incredible Rock Formations

As I approached a trail junction I saw none-other than PCT icon Billy Goat cresting the trail headed southbound toward me. Billy Goat, well into his 70's has more PCT trail miles than anyone and is considered a PCT Legend. He stopped to chat and we discussed trail conditions ahead, he gave me some pointers and of course- I had to get a picture!



Me and Legend Billy Goat

I asked Billy Goat if he saw Eagle Eye but he said he hadn't so I assumed he had already made it to the trail that goes into Horseshoe Meadow. I quickened my pace and as I approached my destination I met 2 day hikers, search and rescue volunteers, John and Mark. They were hiking surrounding peaks to improve their fitness. They offered me a ride to Lone Pine, trailshic strikes again!
When we got to Horseshoe Meadow I expected to see Eagle Eye waiting for me but he was nowhere to be found so I assumed he got a hitch already. We were on our way to town when we spotted a hiker coming off the trail-



Me and Eagle Eye at Kennedy Meadows

This time it was my eagle eye that made a pizza dinner possible for Eagle Eye. John did a U-turn and we made room for Eagle Eye.
He had gotten off trail to get water and that's when I must have passed him. He saw my signature on the trail so he knew I was ahead of him.


My Trail Signature

Ever since Snake Charmer and I got separated I started leaving my signature on the trail. This time it really paid off.
Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment