Thursday, May 24, 2012

May 18 Long Hot Desert Walk


The wind was horrendous last night but using the tips I got from Henry at the kick off, I reinforced my tent with my trekking poles and my tent stayed taught all night and all my stakes were still in place! The wind kept me awake though and I knew it would be a long day on little sleep. I was on the trail by 730. It was a challenge packing up in the high winds and took longer than expected. My goal was to get to the Walker Pass Campground 20 miles away. That would be my next water source. It was a long day and I felt weak and tired from lack of sleep. I also was rationing my water so was a bit dehydrated when I reached the campground. I had trouble finding the cisterns for water so I took a break, had dinner and got my second wind. When I found the cisterns the water did not look very inviting. I still had a liter left so decided to push on and get water tomorrow at Joshua Tree Spring at mile 663. As I approached the road crossing I saw a familiar figure in the distance. It was Francis! I thought he was a day ahead. He had hitched into a nearby town for some food and water. He looked as bedraggled as me and not surprisingly had its even more weight. He is still having problems with blisters but is managing regardless. He tolde of another cache that I missed, in the bushes just before the campground. Too far for me to consider turning back. And that is how Francis got his trail name, "Eagle Eye". Well deserved. We crossed HWY 178 and started the climb in the cooler early evening temperatures. We hiked until 730, a 25 mile day for me. It was worth it though, I had a great campsite just below the ridge with and watched the sunset as I put up my tent. I knew I would sleep good tonight.
Heart



No comments:

Post a Comment