Thursday, May 24, 2012

May 22 Sierra Plans

After talking to the more experienced hikers and emailing my husband several times, discussing strategy, looking at the weather and trail conditions we have come up with a plan. Eagle Eye and I will leave at 5am. We will hike to Horse Shoe Meadow and try to get a hitch into Lone Pine where we will each purchase our ice axes. We should be there by Friday so we will only have to carry 3 days worth of food. If the predicted snow does not interfere we will head out the next morning back where we left the trail and continue to Forrester Pass and on to Independence by way of Kersarge Pass. Temperatures in the Sierras now are a low of 17 and high of 46 and windy. It will be quite a change from what we are presently dealing with. After finalizing our plans Donkey Legs may decide to join us as he does not have an ice ax. I was regretting sending back my snow gaiters as Mark pointed out they could be useful for climbing blow does as well as post-holing. So I headed back to the store to see if by chance the boxes were still there. I also packed up another box to send to Lone Pine to decrease my weight. I lucked-out., my boxes were there, I got my gaiters and sent my boxes out. When I walked out to the porch there was Nick and Ooops! After catching up a bit on what the have experienced the last few days we shared our plans. Nick will leave late this afternoon and head to Independence, Ooops will leave in the morning to scale Whitney and plan on picking up a box and taking a zero in Independence, and Donkey Legs is still undecided.



Heart and Ooops




Nick relaxing before he heads out

I hope to post this from Lone Pine in a few days!
Happy Trails
Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment