Sunday, April 15, 2012

A Zero at Mike's

Hiked 17.7 miles today to Mike's place. Walked the first 7 miles through spring -wildflower meadows and several creek-beds all flowing. After climbing a few miles, mostly uphill, I met up with Jeremy, who was taking a break. I told him of my plan to hike to Mike's place and he decided to join me. We reached Mike's and met up with The Orange Ranger, Seth, Twist, Jeremy, LeeAnn and Niko, but no Mike. Weather forecast was nasty for Friday the 13th (go figure). I stayed the night and we all took a zero on the 14th due to the weather forecast. The weather turned bad in the afternoon - at first it rained then got colder and very windy.
Everyone hopes to leave in the morning. It is very cold and damp here. Mike is not here but allows hikers to stay in the RV and shack. The shack is riddled with cracks where wind, cold ,and rain seep in so all 7 of us piled in the trailer. One hiker slept on the couch, 2 in beds, 3 on the floor, and one in the passenger seat of the RV. Slept in hall on floor. Today just hung out cleaned trailer, repacked pack, cooked, took pictures, talked, played cards all before noon. Did not have phone service but worked on blog. hope to make it 25 miles to the Paradise Cafe tomorrow. No sign of Maria. She was seen ahead by Jeremy 2 days ago. So she may already be at the Paradise Cafe. Problem with camera on my phone. Condensation got into camera and can only take pics with camera facing me.



Hopefully it will eventually dry out. I took Pics with my other camera which I will load later. Another couple of hikers arrived- Pockets, Bird and Free Bird. They are staying in shack.


Heart

2 comments:

  1. Sure is nice of Mike to let hikers camp out at his place while he's away. Curious, do you know if Pockets is the same Pockets from Keith Foskett's book The Last Englishman? I am reading the book now and recognized the trail name. Great book, BTW! Good luck staying warm and dry on the trail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stumbled on the answer to my question re Pockets. I was reading Todd R's blog and it turns out he's the new Pockets on the trail.

      Delete