Wednesday, April 11, 2012

First Oops, Fire, and Trail Magic

Mile 61.5 to 77 Scissors Crossing
Well the day began with an early start- 6am and we traveled the first 6 miles fast. I was in the lead and came to a cross road in the trail and decided to follow the white arrows to the left. In about a quarter mile I decided it just did not look right so I would back track and wait for Snake Charmer to catch up. When she didn't show up after 5 minutes I thought maybe she had gone the other way but I didn't see her footprints. The only other possibility was I had bypassed a turn and was now off trail which I confirmed with my GPS. In the meantime Snake Charmer thought I was ahead so spread up in an effort to catch up. Later she told me she didn't know what I had for breakfast but she wanted some of it! Well I finally caught up with her at the water tank and we had a good laugh.
The rest of the day was very hot with no shade and no breeze. I used my umbrella to shade us during a well deserved break.




Our feet are taking a beating!




But none of this stopped Snake Charmer from having fun with the snakes. She can charm them even with her eyes closed!




I am having trouble posting this message since it is so long. I will continue it with my next post.

1 comment:

  1. Mindy,

    Thank you for providing us another day of insight into life on the PCT. It definitely sounds like you ate your Wheaties for breakfast! The brief story about going off track reminds me of a similar story I know about two people who went on a hike in New Mexico, but we will save that for another day. Hot, Dry, and plenty of sun…Yep, sure sounds like the desert to me! Continue to keep safe and stay hydrated!

    Here’s to the next journal entry!
    Chris & Randi

    ReplyDelete