Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Day 6 Bad Weather But Kind People

On Tuesday I hiked 10 hours to mile 94.5. It was hot but there was a breeze most of the day. Snake charmer was ahead of me all day so I hiked alone. I met up with 2 other hikers from Las Vegas - Free Bird and Bird and we shared some shade and some stories under a tree. I finally caught up to Snake Charmer at 4pm and we decided to get in a couple more miles before quitting for the day. The wind had picked up and by the time we we found a good campsite it was cold and getting dark. The strong winds kept both of us up most of the night but I put heavy rocks on my tent stakes so the tent stayed up. (Monday night the stakes pulled out with the winds and the tent collapsed on me in the middle of the night). At 5am it started raining and it didn't let up all day. I left ahead of Snake Charmer. It was very cold, windy and blowing rain. With the help of my rain gear and umbrella I managed to keep my upper body fairly dry but my feet, hands and legs got soaked. The trail was very narrow with bushes blocking most of it. Taking pictures was a challenge but I had to get this pick at mile 100.




The umbrella sheltered me from the wind but twice turned inside out from the force of the wind gusts. The trail wound down into a gorgeous meadow. All you cold see in every direction was wild flowers and rolling hills.
Unfortunately my phone was fogged up on the inside and I couldn't get a good picture. I did get a lot of great pics with my Sony camera which Mark will post when he gets the memory card.
Here is an interesting pic of rocks in the shape of an eagle-- cool.




Well I didn't see Snake Charmer all day. Usually she catches up to me. She may have reached Warner Springs while I detoured to get my mail. So she is now ahead of me. A nice man at the post office gave me a ride back to the trail and thanks to Alex and Steve I have a great site for my tent, food in my belly, plenty of fresh water and they even provided a place for me to wash up. I hope my gear dries out a bit tonight. Thanks trail angels Alex and Steve!
Soggy Heart

6 comments:

  1. Wow what a crazy couple of days you've had! Happy you met up with some nice people along the way though. Hope the weather has cleared up by now and that your clothes are dry! Can't imagine being in wet clothes on those cold mornings. Not sure if you got my text back thus morning. Dad said something about snow at fuller pass and was wondering if you wanted your crampons in case it's still there when you get to that point. Oh and we did find out about the car finally. They're giving us 10,700 for it (we paid 8,700) so its working out pretty well! Love you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mindy,

    WOW! It sounds like the weather has continued to be unrelenting, but hopefully it will make a turn for the better! We are glad to hear that you were able to clean up a bit and get a hearty meal in! Congratulations on making it to the 100th Mile! A+ for the creativity with the rocks and another A++ for the awesome picture of the eagle in the rocks! Hopefully you will meet up with your hiking buddy in the coming days, but until then keep safe and have fun!

    Chris & Randi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been a nurse for 38 years. I'm loving your journey. When you make it up to Washington state, I'll have to come walk with you awhile. You're an inspiration! happy trails :) Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi heart,

    i have searched for you in warner springs but couldn't find you. so i thought you might be going on walking the trail and try to follow...
    now it seems like i'm in front of you?! (Idillwild)
    hope to see you again. keep well.

    snake charmer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snake Charmer- I got your message but your phone is off. You didn't tell me where you are staying! We have room for you both at my house in Idyllwild, try my home number 659-4599. Heart, I hope you are hunkered down and staying warm. Hot shower and warm pie waiting when you get here :)
      Larrynn

      Delete
  5. Food, flowers and cool reptiles. What else could a girl want? It's fun catching up on your trek. Have you stamped your signature into a register along the way? Keep up the good work. Funhog

    ReplyDelete