Monday, April 16, 2012

Day 12 April 16 Idyllwild

Yesterday we hiked 25 miles to the Paradise Cafe. All but Bird and Freebird headed out at 5:15am. Thanks to Mike and his generosity we all survived and had more than enough water to get us to Idyllwild. If you are reading this Mike and are ever in Texas look me up and you will have a place to stay. Everyone was christened a trail name while at Mike's (we had a lot of time on our hands and got know each other pretty well). Jeremy is now Ice Ass because he came with a quilt instead of a sleeping bag, and was always complaining of his ass being cold at night, Lee Ann became Go Fish due to winning so many hands of this challenging card game, Seth became JetBoil cuz he talked about how much he wanted one ever since he saw me eating 10 minutes before his water was even simmering, Niko became Fidget since he never sits still and me I remain heart - and sometimes " Mom" Heart - and if you know me you know why. We hiked 25 miles of ups and downs but made it to the Cafe by 4pm. The sitting down and eating was Paradise. The getting up and walking after, not so great. Every bone and muscle ached. Burning Daylight's son lived nearby and came to pick-up his dad and left with 6 additional hikers and their gear along with his own family of 4. Believe it or not the vehicle was NOT a van. I still don't know how we fit everyone but luckily we only had 15 miles to go. I would have taken a picture but I couldn't move to get my camera and the retired cop with us would have destroyed the evidence.




The good news is my camera is working fine now- yahoo! Here I am at the cabin in Idyllwild.






The six of us rented this cabin for just $20 each. We spent the day preparing for the next leg of our hike. We washed gear, bought groceries, aired out our tents, caught up on correspondence some sat and watched movies and some of us went into the local gifts shops and boutiques (I'm not mentioning any names).



Go Fish is a professional chef, and treated us to a great lasagna dinner. I was her official sous chef and learned a trick or two. Thanks Go fish!



From left to right: The Orange Ranger, Ice Ass, Burning Daylight, Fidget, and Go Fish.
Pockets, JetBoil and Twist, took a day off to be with their families.
I should reach Big Bear (100 plus miles away) in a week or so and will blog any time I get a signal. I am having trouble sending emails. I am getting everyone's emails but when I reply they just remain in my outbox. So far no one has been able to figure it out. I just want all of you to know I enjoy reading your emails and will reply as soon as I fix the problem.
Heart

2 comments:

  1. Heart,

    Loving your blog from this section hiker in Portland Oregon. You have one of the best and I'm following many. I'm so antsy to do some SoBo hikes in Oregon starting back up at Timothy Lake this summer if I could just get the 150" of snow to go away on the trail in the higher elevations in these parts. Hopefully by mid July. Anyway on your iPhone if you ever have weird problems make sure you try to power it all the way down (not just in standby) by pressing and holding the top button for 5 seconds. Let it power down and then up again. This helps most issues resolve. Also do a hard close of the offending app which you can do by double clicking the home button (The main physical button at the front bottom of the phone) and then swiping the apps to the left as needed to find the offending app (mail in your case) and then press and hold the icon until it starts squiggling and then touch the "x" to close it. (Actually I'd recommend closing all of them from time to time to keep them all from running in the background taking system resources) Those 2 steps will resolve most issues. Great job on the reporting...keep it up! You're inspiring!

    Mike from Portland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...and by the way..."JetBoil" is now "Tailgate" :-)

    ReplyDelete