Sunday, April 29, 2012

ADZPCTKO






So glad I made the effort to be here for the ADZPCTKO which stands for Annual Day Zero Pacific Crest Trail Kick Off.
I got a lot of useful advice about hiking the PCT. I met so many thru hikers, many of which knew me from my blog. I met many people that, up until now, I had only read their books, purchased their gear, or watched them on video. I met Henry Shires, founder of the Tarptent, and he gave me a lot of tips for setting up my tent in rain and wind. Thanks Henry! I met Halfmile who made and loaded the maps on my GPS prior to my hike. Billy Goat, who has probably walked more miles on the PCT than anyone, was there onpiring pthers. Then there was Tequila Jack and wife Boo Boo who whose 2011 journal was full of great info. And Liz who hiked with Wired last year, and Rockin and her husband who offered their help when I come thru Tehachapi. And on and on...The day was full of great sources of information in the form of lectures, round table discussions, and vendors demonstrations in a beautiful setting with Lake Marina in the background.




We gained more insight regarding desert hiking, cooking and stretching/yoga on the trail, overuse injures, flora and fauna, bears, mountaineering skills, and we learned the latest regarding water sources and snow and trail conditions. The biggest concern this year appears to be the damage done by the strong winds that took down thousands of trees in the Sierras last November. There will be a lot of blow downs to climb over or go around making hiking there very challenging. But I guess that is POTA.
Volunteers made sure we were fed well and there was plenty of great stories shared. I was so happy to see Pockets and his friend trail angel Melissa. He was the only hiker that I have hiked with that came to the KO. I did see many of the hikers that I met in Julian here. I met the infamous trail angels, The Anderson's and witnessed Teri getting a Mohawk.




I had my picture taken with Squatch the author of all the Walking documentaries.




In the evenings we were treated to PCT trail short stories read by the authors and videos of the PCT. Here are some pics from Thursday and Friday.












This is me with Ron. He is hiking the trail in a wedding dress!




Here we are gathering for a group picture of the class of 2012.




This is actually the class of 2011 that came to the KO. Since I am in the class pic of 2012 I couldn't take a picture but it will be posted on the PCTA website soon. I am holding one side of the 2012 banner.
I am eager to get back to the trail. This has been a great rest but too long. I found a ride to my last stopping point on the trail with long time trail angel, Shepherd. I will be leaving tomorrow after breakfast with 2 hikers I met in Julian, Speedbump and Rattlebee. They will get dropped off at Warner Springs and then Shepherd will leave me off where I last stopped on the trail. My next town will be Wrightwood. Until then..happy trails.
Heart

5 comments:

  1. I'm sooo glad you went to kick-off and that you saw Rockin' and Liz! You are so far ahead of the herd! It will be fun to see who your crew will be now that you've had a few days off...Which is great for your body! Btw, Shepard was a great trail angel and hiked near Baden Powell with me. Also, the Andersons are a must do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really glad it was worth your while to go back and that you got a few days to relax and heal up! Sounds like you've met a lot of really interesting people--would love to know the story about that wedding dress! Hope you have a good ride back to the trail and that things keep going smoothly! Love you lots,
    Stef

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like plenty of good fun at Kickoff! Ron, in the wedding dress, is a pal of mine. His blog is at Hiking26 dot com for anyone who wants to follow him. Keep that Heart pumpin'!
    Funhog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks funhog I'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ron hiking the PCT. in a Wedding dress that is awesome sounds alot like our own Ron Dunham, just love it... He would fit in with the Dunham Clan no problem... Thanks for allowing to live this adventure through your eye's Aunt Mindy... Your incredable... Robby

    ReplyDelete