Saturday, April 21, 2012

April 18

Today was a challenging day mixed with a lot of trail angel blessings.We (Ice Ass, Fidget, Go Fish and I) left from the base of the San Jacinto Mountains at 630am. and headed 17 miles to Whitewater Creek where we planned to camp. We were just 4 miles from Ziggy and the Bear so we stopped in there for some trail magic. Thank you both. We were treated to a nice place in the shade, fresh fruit and cold drinks.



Ziggy, Heart, Bear

Then we headed towards the wind farm. in route we crossed under a bridge at I 10. There we found a cooler left by trail angels with cold drinks, a welcome sight, especially since the temperatures were now in the 90's with NO shade to be had. I slowed down and lost the group but knew where they were all headed.




A pleasant surprise came from behind - someone called out my name and I turned to see Pockets. He had caught up with our group and was really putting in the miles after a visit with his family.  We came to a sign on a post that said "shade and water" with an arrow. So we followed it to the maintenance building at the wind farm. What a surprise to find, shade, water, bathrooms, and microwavable meals. Well back on the trail I said good-bye to Pockets as he burned up the miles and left me in his dust. I took pictures of the scenery and the flowers and paced myself in the heat.




I looked below and saw a river basin but my far sight is poor and to me it all looked dried up, just a mass of gray rock. I guess the creek was dry. Where would we get our water?





Just as the temperature was unbearable I came around a corner at 330pm and saw my group, frolicking in Whitewater Creek - I pinched myself to see if it was a mirage, it was raging, just like it said in the data book. So I dropped my pack and joined them. So refreshing and a great way to end the day.




No comments:

Post a Comment