Saturday, April 7, 2012

Day 2 Our First Wild Beast


Maria and I hike well together. We tend to frog-hop all day. She walks faster than I do but takes a lot of pictures, which slows her down giving me a chance to catch up. Mostly she takes pictures of animals and plants not common in Germany. As she takes a picture of yet another lizard I bypass and take over the lead. But today I was glad to be behind. And I was not surprised to see her in a low squat as she positioned herself to take a close, close up. Before I could see what she was taking a picture of she quietly handed me her camera and stood up.




What you should know is Maria is a veterinarian, and so trusting her knowledge of wild beasts I did as I was told and took the picture. You do not argue with someone whose got a snake in her hand. I drew the line, however, when she wanted to take a picture of me with the beast.
I wish I could say the rest of the day was downhill from here but it was a 1200' plus climb to Lake Marina and an a total of 17 miles for the day. Again we were blessed with perfect temperatures and plentiful water. Tomorrow we reach Mt Laguna and our first Nero (a day of less hiking mileage, normally when you hike into a town). We will get to stay at a hotel and rest up a bit before making our way to Warner Springs.
wee-Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment