Monday, August 20, 2012

August 12,13


1838-1884
Water was at the Cache and we cameled up. The next water would be in 17 miles. It was in the mid 90's, unseasonably warm. Five miles before the water source we scooped up some snow and made slushies then put the snow in our hats to cool us off.
We climbed over a lot of blow downs --100 plus then
Camped at Thielsen Creek with Just Bill and Eric who showed up after dark- I met Eric in Mt Laguna and now, over a thousand miles later it was good to see one another again.






On Aug 13 Our plan was to hike to Windigo Pass. We leap-frogged with Moss and Scarecrow all day and met other section hikers going south.
We were told the mosquitos were bad to Shelter Cove and 2 days beyond but we were lucky to have a nice breeze and no mosquitos.
I checked my halfmile map app and was surprised to find I had phone service and a text message from Wired (Erin Saver). She is my hero and mentor. She hiked the PCT last year and was one of the few who completed the trail. 2011 was the most difficult year on record for hiking the PCT. She was planning to hike with me someplace in Oregon and I was thrilled to learn she was just a few miles away at Windigo Pass. There were trail angels at the pass and we were getting close. A few hours later as I crested a small grade I spotted a familiar face.



Heart and Wired
We hiked the remaining 4 miles to Windago Pass and found a bag for us left by trail angels Steve and Steady. Wired told them we would be there soon so they left us some goodies. They also left a water cache. Thanks Steve and
Steady! Tomorrow Wired will hike with us to Shelter Cove Resort, we will camp there and the next day she will leave us to do trail magic for other hikers.
Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment