Monday, August 20, 2012

Aug 16-17 Fish Tales and More


I was off on the date in my last post. All I can say is hiking the PCT is like summer vacation - it is so hard to keep track of the days/dates.
We got up at 0-dark-thirty to go fishing with Rich and Suzie. We were on the lake by 601. We had our first catch by 630 and we did not stop for 3 hours. We caught over 25 fish. Well I say we, but I only caught one. But what a catch it was. I nearly feel out of the boat wrestling with this one. Keep in mind I am 95lbs now so it doesn't take much to pull me off balance.



It was actually much bigger in person - must just be the camera angle. It really looked more like this ...



Suzie and Steve caught most of the fish and I was the official cheerleader.






Steve (gone fishing) caught the biggest fish of the day-- (with my cheerleading help of course)
Luckily cheerleaders don't have to clean the fish



The best part of course is eating the fresh fish, so we prepared them with butter, lemon and salt and pepper then grilled them over an open fire. We polished off 7 whole salmon between the 2 of us. Enough to (almost) convert me from cheerleader to fisherman.
But reality set in and after lunch we headed back to the trail. The Bobby-lake Fire closures detoured us to the road and we took a side trip to see Salt Creek Falls in-route.



Salt Creek Falls

On August 17 we hiked through mostly shaded forest. The temperatures were warmer than usual and we stopped for a long lunch at yet another pristine lake.


We swam and Gone Fishing fished -without any luck this time - word must of gotten around about his skill and the fish were in hiding.
Then we entered the Three Sisters Wilderness.


We met PCT hike Mufasa (from the Lion King)


Mufasa ... Yes I can see the resemblance
We hiked over 23 miles and camped together at a nice spot.



PCT old imbedded marker in a pine tree

Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment