Saturday, August 11, 2012

August 11 Crater Lake Rim


We took the trolly from Mazama Village to the Post Office to sort and mail out boxes. Mark sent me my Fly Creek Big Agnes tent and I boxed up my Rainbow Tarp Tent to send home. The zipper had failed, the stuff sack ripped in half, there were holes in the netting and the top pole had broke through the nylon - time for a new tent.
Gone Fishing and I sat under a tree at a picnic table to sort through our stuff one final time.
We met Ann Marie and Walter from The Netherlands and they offered us a ride gave to the trail head at the Rim Lodge.



Thanks Ann Marie and Walter!

We hung out at the lodge and visited with other hikers waiting for the heat to subside and hoping the smoke from the nearby fires would clear so we would have a better view of the crater.
Gone Fishing went to fill up our water bottles. We would have to carry at least 3-4 Liters (about 10lbs) each due to water sources being so far apart. Ooops showed up at the Rim Lodge at 5pm and told us about a trail angel he met who just put a cache at mile 1844. We decided to carry less water to decrease our weight and take a chance on there being water at the cache. We knew there was snow we could melt if the cache was empty.
The crater Rim trail was awesome! Even marred by smoke It was a site to see.








Fellow Hikers on Crater Lake Rim




Wizard Island at Crater Lake




We camped the rim at a great spot and later discovered from Ooops that it was the most photographed location around the rim.

When I dumped out my tent poles to set up my tent I was shocked to find the tension cord for the poles was severed and useless! (this is the framework for the tent) Gone Fishing came to the rescue and managed to make it useable again. Thanks Steve!
We made it a point to wake up at 2am and watch the meteor shower. It was very cool. Sorry no pics came out. Here are more pics for you from my day...








Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment