Thursday, July 26, 2012

July 23 Another Milestone


Today we traveled 24 miles through the Russian Wilderness in the Klamath National Forest. Cliffs gave way to large boulders and we hiked through a fir forest. We passed several creeks and springs and this distinctive dry bedrock water shoot.






Just past this area we rounded a ridge and viewed a massive wall of granite, reminiscent of the High Sierras.


We met a few trail angels who were out for a 3-day hike and they offered us so trail bars. We just happened to be out of all our snack food so were grateful to them.



Thanks Chris, Scott and Eric!

Shortly after leaving the trail angels I mistakenly took a wrong turn and went off-trail for, when I realized my mistake I quickly back-tracked and found Gone Fishing consulting other PCT hikers as to my where-abouts. We have been leap-frogging several hikers from Isreal. They are a great group and we enjoy visiting with them.



High Point, Sugar-High, and Masad

Just 5 minutes into my trail gummy snack I felt something hard in my mouth - a crown had come off my tooth! Luckily I did not swallow it and hopefully I would find a dentist in Etna tomorrow. I tucked it away in a safe place. We hiked another several miles and reached our 1600th milestone. We had been collecting feathers along the trail since we left Mt Shasta and put them on a bed of moss. Then Gone Fishing gathered a unique black moss to underline it.



Gone Fishing found a great campsite by a hidden lake just a mile later. I opted for the tent to escape the bugs and Gone Fishing cowboy camped. Tomorrow we will reach Etna and then it's on to Seiad Valley and beyond.



Heart

1 comment:

  1. Thought you'd like to know you made the day for a fellow hiker with your 1600 sign. This is what Castle had to say on her blog, "The miler marker was charming: moss and Blue Jay feathers, I wonder how long it took to catch and pluck the Blue Jay?"

    ReplyDelete