Wednesday, July 4, 2012

July 1-3


On Jul 1 we hiked 23 miles from mile 1104-1127, feeling strong from our brief rest in Sierra City. We only saw 2 other hikers all day. The tread was a bit easier than normal and we hiked until 7pm.
Jul 2 Hot, humid, muggy and buggy last night. I did not get much sleep, water was scarce all day and my stomach upset. Most of the trail was up and down and in the woods. I prefer the higher elevations with views from the crest. My music kept me going but my body wanted me to stop all day. The tread was rocky and steep and my right leg pronator muscle was strained and sore. Gone Fishing was quite a bit ahead of me all day so I hiked alone. We usually have a matched pace and have been hiking together for a month now so it was odd to be alone with no one to talk to all day. The trail is also not maintained as well and there were several blow downs to negotiate. I limited my food to bland choices, cream of wheat, tea, water, and bummed some oatmeal from Gone Fishing for dinner. I was happy when we stopped a bit earlier than usual, at mile 1248, a 21 mile day, and was fast asleep by 8pm.
July 3 What a difference a good night sleep makes! I woke up feeling rested and rearing to go. My appetite returned, my pace was back matching Gone Fishing's and we negotiated 5,000' of endless elevation in the woods. Several blowdowns, mosquitos, and hot weather plagued us all day. We did find some relief at the Middle Feather River and cooled off for a few hours. Soon after we were soaked with sweat again as we continued our climb. We planned to stop at mile 1262 at the top of the crest but couldn't pass up the chance to camp on Look-Out Rock at mile 1261. High above the trees and jetting out over the ledge we set up a ground cloth and cowboy camped. The views are spectacular. We had the usual dinner fare and I made our favorite desert of pudding and vanilla wafers. Gone Fishing was fast asleep by 8 but having slept so soundly last night I am still awake past midnight. When I realized I had a signal I decided to catch up on my blogging.



Look-out Rock



Look-out Rock



Happy Trails
Heart


No comments:

Post a Comment