Sunday, June 10, 2012

June 7-10

Yesterday when we got on the ferry Roberto was there too so we hung out with him and the 3 of us ordered a peach berry pie and ate the whole thing. It was delicious! There was no Internet or phone service so we did laundry and just relaxed. I thought of trail names for Steve and Roberto; Steve is now "Gone Fishing" because thats what he talks about and loves to do and Roberto is "Surefoot" because he moves across the trail quickly and never takes a miss-step. He is like a sure-footed horse. At 430 we took the Ferry back to the trail. We hiked 3 hours to mile 882 so we'd have a head start to Silver Pass the next day.
June 8
Hiked 18 miles from 882 to 900 up and over Silver Pass, and around several blowdowns. We leap-frogged with Roberto all day and met several JMT hikers.
Here are some great pics for you.















Gone Fishing at Silver Pass

On June 9 we hit the 900 mile marker.


Gone Fishing and I made this marker out of pieces of blowdowns.
Later we met Michael Morse and A group of students from the
Student Conservation Association. Mike gave us a lot of up to date information about the trail conditions and recommended we get to Mammoth via a recently cleared trail from Reds Meadow to Horseshoe Lake. The shuttle will not be up and running from Reds Meadow until mid-month but all blow-downs have been cleared on this trail by his crew.


Mike and his group are responsible for getting the trail cleared for the hikers. Thanks Mike!
We took Mike's advice and on our way to Horseshoe Lake met some day hikers who offered us a ride into Mammoth. By 4:00 we were checked into our motel and getting our resupply boxes. June 10 I spent catching up on my blog and planning the next leg of my hike. Wired will be happy to know I purchased a new pack that is almost 2 lbs lighter than my present pack. I will leave tomorrow headed for Tuolumne and should be there in a few days. Then it's on to Kennedy Meadow Resort followed by Echo Lake. Gone Fishing and I plan to continue to hike together and Roberto heads back to Italy after Tuolumne.





Blowdowns on the trail

Heart

2 comments:

  1. Awesome blog and thanks for the updates on trail conditions. I noticed in your gear list that you are using a Power Monkey. How is that working out for you? Well, I look forward to reading the rest of your Blog and catching up with you guys. - David

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to give me a HEART attack! The falls, your eye, hiking solo in the Sierra...you are flyin too! I can't believe how quickly you got through the high Sierra. I am so PROUD of you for getting the new pack. What is it? I just can't believe you lugged the heavy one for 900mi before switching. I am on my last day of work and just now catching up on a backlog of journals. I am leaving for a week of backpacking and look forward to returning to more of your HEART stopping adventures!

    ReplyDelete