Sunday, June 10, 2012

June 6 VVR Marathon

We had 18.1 miles to cover to get to VVR (Vermilion Valley Resort). It would be an easy day (or so we thought). We left at 615am to give us plenty of time to make it to Lake Edison to get the ferry to the resort. The ferry only runs twice a day 945am and 445pm and today is the first day it will be running this season. If you miss the ferry it is a 5 mile-plus walk around the lake to get to the resort. It's one thing to walk over 2600 PCT miles but off trail miles don't count so walking 5 more miles walked unnecessarily Is unacceptable. The first 10 miles went well then we ran into some blow-downs which put us off trail briefly. This slowed us down and as Steve struggled to make up the time he got ahead of me. I check the GPS often to be sure we are on track and when I stopped to check I found we were about 170' below the trail but heading NE in the correct direction. We both thought it was a detour around the downed trees and continued until the direction started to change to NW . By this time Steve was about 1/2 mile ahead of me and by the time I caught up to him we were 2 miles off trail in the wrong direction. It was unlikely we could make up the 2 miles but we were determined to try. We made a straight line to the PCT and climbed up 1500', bushwhacking our way to the trail. Then we raced the clock as we descended miles of switchbacks and blowdowns. Most of the blowdowns had go-arounds but the trail was littered with branches, leaves, and pine needles making the trail steep and slippery. At long last we reached the bottom, then crossed several streams and proceeded to climb to the VVR trail cut off. No breaks, no lunch, and with just a breakfast bar this morning our energy level was low. I found a few Nutrigrain bars in my pack and it got us to the end. There we saw a sign on a tree verifying the ferry would be there at 430 with a phone number to call. No one else was waiting- no ferry in site and it was 430 - exactly. No phone service was available. Hmmmm. Steve was exhausted and swore he would never follow me again. I was confused by the lack of hikers so decided to follow a well beaten trail I saw - there I spotted 9 other hikers loading on to the ferry. Turns out the water level is too low to dock at the usual place. I raced back to let Steve know and with the energy you find when you're being chased by killer bees, Steve and I made a dash to the ferry without a moment to spare.






VVR Ferry


I expected Tattoo and Mr Roarke to greet us with a Lei around our necks at this Fantasy Island. How else can you explain 2 hikers our age climbing 3500' up and 2500' down on such difficult terrain with a black eye and swollen brow, low blood sugar, heavy packs, and creaking joints - it has to be the magic you find on a Fantasy Island. (or the lure of homemade pies).







Grateful Heart:)


1 comment: