Saturday, October 6, 2012

Fish Stories from Stehekin

We got a hitch from local ranger Randy to the bakery. In route we passed a fly fishing shop and you can probably guess the rest. The owner of the shop, John Wisley is an expert fly fisherman and guide. Randy recommended we contact him and arrange a guided trip on the Stehekin River. This turned out to be a great recommendation as you can see from the pics below.




Gone Fishing with his first catch: Rainbow Trout




The water is very cold but these waiters are like a dry suit, they keep you warm and dry




GF hooked this one and I reeled it in - I'm pretty good at the reeling-in part but need to perfect the hooking part -- maybe on my next 2600 mile hike




GF with a large Cut-throat trout




The salmon were spawning and I saw hundreds swimming upstream to die.
Halfway down the river we saw 3 bear cubs along the river banks trying to feast on the spawning salmon. Their mother was shot just weeks ago by a hunter and they have to fend for themselves
It is hard to make them out in the pic but there is a black and brown cub - (honest).








Another beautiful sunset




In my dry suit taking pics from the river bank
Heart

1 comment:

  1. I had to really look hard to see the cub but I think I found em just in front of a tree a little over halfway up on the left side. Sorry to hear about their Mom being shot :(

    Gosh you're almost done with your journey on PCT, but the memories of your hike have just begun. I've been following your hike almost from the beginning but went back to read when you started. I subscribed to your email updates :)
    I have to say you are an inspiration; I've been looking at a ULA Circuit backpack and other gear hiking gear.

    ReplyDelete