Friday, October 19, 2012

Home Is Where The Heart Is...



 

Well it's been 2 weeks since I completed the trail and I have been home Oct 12.  After my last entry GF and I hiked 9 miles to Manning Lodge.


Manning Lodge  

Some hikers, for various reasons, hike back to Hart's Pass and exited home through the USA. I'm glad we chose to go to Manning Park. Many hikers were there celebrating the end of the journey.  


 
 
 
 
The hike to Manning is a great way to finish. It was a nice respite. We had a great dinner and just kept reliving the end, hardly believing it was here at last. The next morning we boarded the bus to Vancouver along with many other rested happy PCT Thru-Hikers.

 

Vancouver is a great city and helped us to slowly integrate ourselves back into civilization.

 
 

There is a hostel within walking distance (for normal people-4 blocks) from the bus station and we stayed there meeting people from all over the world. We walked along the water to Grandville Island Public Market, shopped, ate and checked out the museums.   Vancouver has a lot to offer and without a pack the walking was a breeze.


Then we took the 4 hour Amtrak train to Seattle. We stayed at the Green Tortoise Hostel near the famous Pike Market.




 




  A few days of shopping, eating, and sightseeing and we were beginning to remember the good things about being off the trail.  
 
 
Seattle Aquarium

The First Starbucks Store 1971
 
 
 A favorite pastime on the trail was watching the sunset so on our last night we ate our favorite "in-town" food at the waterfront while watching the sunset.
 
 
I bid a sad farewell to hiking partner Gone Fishing the next morning as he headed for the train station (zoom in: he's the guy with the backpack). He decided to slow the trip and ease back into getting home by seeing more of our country.

 



 I shopped a few more days (my way of coping) and visited friends in Seattle before flying home.


Welcome home dinner with husband Mark, and children Scott and Stefanie
 

Stef treated me to a special breakfast the next morning...

 Banana Pancakes ...Yummm

Many thanks for the welcome home/congratulations messages I received from so many of you. I hope to continue to share any information that may help those of you interested in hiking. I welcome your questions. Just email them to me at heartyhiking@gmail.com.
My next  entry will include recommendations/suggestions and answers to the questions that inquiring minds want to know. Stay Tuned...

 
 
 
Heart
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful re-entry! Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very envious of you completing the PCT and I hope to do it some year... Glad you made it home safely :)

    ReplyDelete