Saturday, October 27, 2012

The Naked Truth






Ok so its been almost a month since I have been off the trail and inquiring minds want to know ...
How has your experience on the trail changed you?
I purposely held off writing this segment because simply put, it takes time to know. Our consciousness seldom recognizes the beginning of growth within us; fruit appears on the tree long after the seed is sown. I can tell you it has made me appreciate the little things we often take for granted and the never ending beauty I witnessed daily: shadows on mountains during sunrise, staring up at the milky-way night-after-night, the sweet scent of lupines, and the never ending splendor of views from the crest.
The trail taught me how important it is to get out of your comfort zone and challenge yourself. You will never know what you are capable of, what treasures are there for you to see, feel, taste and smell or what thrills you will have when you face and overcome dangers unless you get out there. How short life is and how quickly it passes. Don't let your doubts stand in your way. You can do far more than you realize. Age is no barrier. Just make up your mind to do it and start working on how to make it work. Don't sweat the details. Most of what you're worried about will never come to pass. You will be giving others a chance to step up to the plate and you may be helping them get out of their comfort zone as well.
How are you adjusting to being off the trail?
Weeks leading up to the end I had feelings of joy and sorrow. I wanted to savor every mile and every minute but I wanted to finish before bad weather hit and my knee went on strike.




Timing is everything: Waldo at Harts Pass just 2 weeks after I completed the trail
The day after I completed the trail was like a zero so the usual routine was the same- just no hiker box this time. Then there was the distraction of Vancouver and Seattle and plenty of opportunity to walk. I insisted on donning my pack. I felt naked walking without it and who knows I might make a few purchases in route. The hustle bustle of normal life is a bit disturbing when you come off the trail. Gone Fishing saved me from getting run over several times as my tendency was to jaywalk - after all there are no traffic lights on the trail. Nights were the hardest for me. The rooms were stuffy and it was too noisy outside to open the windows, not to mention I had not earned the level of exhaustion I was used to and could not sleep more than a few hours. My leg muscles started cramping as if rebelling and I even considered walking home to Texas (Just kidding). I stayed in Seattle a few more days waiting to meet up with old friends but all the exposure to sick passengers left me sick with a cold. After Gone Fishing left I knew it was really over. With no one there to discuss the trail I became depressed. As I laid sick in bed at the hostel and stared at my backpack I couldn't help feeling sorry for myself and for my pack. Needing the wall to hold it up, deflated without the body and gear that once held it together, it looked out of place and sad too.
So I got my sorry ass up and went shopping. As bad as I felt I cheered myself up with my shopping spree (its a girl thing). The next day I made banana pancakes, then spent time at the post office shipping my purchases home. I stopped looking at my hiking pictures and started looking at family pictures again. I made it back to Texas in good spirits.
But once home I found it hard to motivate myself to accept all my previous responsibilities. I wanted to slow everything down. I did not feel ready to start working. Driving a car felt like cheating. I lost my appetite for food and for life. I had missed my family and my old life but now at home, I missed the trail--my new, old life. So I started cleaning (another girl thing). I cleaned out my closet and gave away nearly half of my things. I just spent 6 months wearing the same pair of pants, shirt and shoes- did I really need all this stuff? I wanted to simplify. I attacked other rooms as well and it kept me busy and cheered me up. I spent time in my garden and time with my chickens and took my dog for walks wearing my backpack. I went to the dentist, the orthopedic doctor to have my knee examined and I cooked. I wrote in my blog and read the comments from followers. I wrote thank-you notes to trail angels and slowly began to feel happy again. But it is a process and my family has been very supportive. Just the same it's other hikers you turn to because only they really know where you have come back from, what you miss and why you yearn to return.
Time has a way of moving faster the older you get and my energies now are focused on sharing my experience with others. There is much to do. I am working on my gear review and recommendations for those planning a PCT hike. I am putting together a presentation to share with interested groups and helping my husband prepare to do the trail next year. I am making plans to be at kick-off to support the class of 2013 and will do some angel magic with GF at Walker Pass. Currently I am hiking trails in Kauai with my backpack on my back and the smile back on my face.




Heart

6 comments:

  1. Well you sure are an inspiration to me! I am 61 and long to go on the trail. I wanted to do the PCT way back in the 70s but other things like work and survival in the city got in the way.
    I want to do some shorter hikes first. I been exercising for years everyday lifting weights, running, and evening walks; now with my backpack since I started reading your blog last April.
    I live on my own in the high desert and when I do go for the PCT I won't have the luxury of having someone sending me packages, so I'd like your thoughts on purchasing food and supplies on the way.
    I want to buy an Ultralight Adventure Equipment Circuit backpack... Yes I want to know your ideas on what equipment works best :)
    Thank you for sharing your wonderful journey (I am so glad your knee held out)
    Bob DeLoyd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! That's what I've been dying to know! So good to hear the full story. I didn't think there was any way anyone could tackle an adventure like this and not come back a little different, or at least with a different perspective on things. I had a similar experience once where I escaped reality and day to day life (albeit for a much shorter period of time) and coming back was definitely an eye opener. It changed my life for the better though, I can't imagine how different things would be now if I had never taken that trip. Happy you guys are having a good time out there and experiencing the trail together again! Love you, Stef

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats me (Typo) in the snow... but Waldo did take the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's up it's me, I am also visiting this website regularly, this web site is truly fastidious and the visitors are genuinely sharing good thoughts.

    oat powder

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woah! I'm really digging the template/theme of this website. It's simple,
    yet effective. A lot of times it's challenging to get that "perfect balance" between user friendliness and visual appeal. I must say you've done a
    amazing job with this. Also, the blog loads very quick for me on Internet explorer.
    Outstanding Blog!

    whey protein

    ReplyDelete
  6. If some one wishes expert view about blogging after that i propose him/her to pay a quick visit this weblog, Keep up the nice work.
    My developer is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP.I have always disliked the idea because of the costs.But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using Movable-type on a variety of websites for about a year and am worried about switching to anothr platform. I have heard great things about blogengine.ne. Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress posts
    into it? Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!


    Bullion Tips Commodity Tips

    ReplyDelete