Monday, January 16, 2012

Good News and Bad News...

Well I have good news and bad news. The good news is I got some advice from Wired this past weekend. The bad news is I got some advice from Wired this past weekend.
 If you don't know who Wired is you are probably new to reading the PCT  journals. Wired (Erin Saver)  is my inspiration and the reason I am attempting this hike  solo. I followed her hike in 2011 from the time she started her blog and we keep in-touch still. She is my mentor as she is for soooo many others. She did an incredible job journaling her hike with daily posts that most times included not just the most incredible pictures but also videos. I cannot even attempt to follow  in her footsteps (no pun intended), but I do hope to complete the trail. Of course you don't know what you don't know, right? Well that was the bad news.  I have much to learn about journaling. As you can imagine Wired did not get her name because she's an electrician.  So she recommended many apps and ideas and being the perfectionist she is, she also added how to make these things perfect. She looked over my gear list and you guessed it -- more bad news - recommended ditching my down booties (OH MY!), my collapsible cup and water bucket, soap, deodorant, radio and questioned my pack choice  (that's where I drew the line - I love my pack -- even if it is twice as heavy as most packs).
I welcome her advice, even if it means parting with my booties. Now for the good news I posted onto my blog from my iphone successfully and I eliminated another pound off my pack weight :) A big thanks to Wired !


If you have not checked out Wired's journal, go to Erin Savin on the PCT journal site or type in this link:  erinspctjournal.blogspot.com.
Happy Trails
Heart

4 comments:

  1. Hurrah! So glad I can be your first follower and blog-umm-poster?! I signed up to receive all your updates via email so now I'll never miss a single one! So excited for and inspired by you mom! This is an enormous undertaking, but since you so regularly enjoy pushing yourself to the limit I know you are more than capable of toughing it out. Looking forward to more of your posts! Love you,
    Stef

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, shucks! I really wish you all the best. And I get to be the second to comment. I just confirmed my subscription. Check you out! You're doing it! It will get much easier with practice. Don't forget to look into Disqus for a more user friendly comment section...I couldn't resist...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get the Circuit!! I used it and I love it!!!! Best of luck on your journey, I'll be sure to follow along too :)
    (And I'm here if you have any questions)
    Cheers, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mindy,
    Welcome to the class of 2012! What a great adventure. Looks like we have the same plan. Starting a little early myself this year (April 9 ~13) - building endurance, getting trail legs back. Rides back to the KO should be pretty easy. I'm hoping to be at Idylwild and then hitch back from there. - See ya on the trail.

    D.

    ReplyDelete