Saturday, September 15, 2012

Snoqualmie Pass

It was a smoky morning with fires burning in the distance. The wind was blowing our way and everything smelled like a campfire. I unzipped the tent to face this view of Mt Rainier in the distance...




The day started out cold and windy with few clouds. I had one bar on my iPhone and texted daughter Stefanie to have her check the fire and trail closure report. All was clear for the PCT:) Soon the wind direction changed and the smoky smell was gone.








The wildflowers continued to add eye candy and distract us from the work at hand




Mirror Lake








We stopped early at Mirror Lake. It was too much of a good thing to pass up. GF (Gone Fishing) went fishing and we enjoyed a somewhat shorter hiking day after a very steep climb. My knee was thankful and got a much needed break.
The next day we collected berries for our next milestone. It truly represents the past 100 miles.




2400 Mile-marker made with Salmon Berries, Huckle Berries and Blueberries.



Aardvark'sthe best curry dish on the trail!



We reached Snoqualmie Pass by 1pm had 24 hours of R&R and the usual routine.



Skippy and Blueberry

Several hikers were coming and going- the usual pint or half gallon of ice cream in hand, eating, blogging and sharing amazing stories. Sadly one hiker named Gourmet broke his ankle just 6 miles from Canada and had to be air-lifted off the trail. News travels fast through the PCT hiker network. We all promised to watch our steps and take nothing for granted. Our hearts go out to Gourmet.
Today we leave looking forward to hiking the Alpine Lake Wilderness, North Cascades National Park, Glacier Peak Wilderness, seeing closer views of Mt Rainier, our last 2 stops before Canada: Skykomish and Skehekin and everything in-between.



Heart

1 comment:

  1. Heart, I have been following your blog for the last few months and want to tell what an inspiration you are. I have to be honest and tell you the one reason I started reading your blog was because my son "Pitstop" is also a thru hiker and he is hiking about 100 miles south of you. I love reading your blog because then I know what is coming up on the trail for him. When he calls me I tell him all about what you have posted on your blog. I was hoping he could meet you, but it looks like you will make it to Canada before he does. Your blog & photos sometimes make me feel like I am on the trail too. Thank you for posting your adventure and for your "walking for your heart' cause. Mary Lou Ramsey, Leesburg, GA

    ReplyDelete