Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Hiking Lone Star one last time


Just got back from hking the Lone Star Trail again. Just under 100 miles. I hiked 20 miles a day for 5 days. This will be my last long hike until I leave. No blisters this time  - wahoo!


 Carolina Jasmine Vine in full bloom through-out the trail. The yellow flowers carpeted my path. So pretty...


So many pretty wild flowers...


Of course it wouldn't be Texas without a picture of the cattle. I also ran into a herd of wild pigs but they were out almost out of site before I could get the picture. You probably can't make them out but they are in the very back and center of this next pick (honest).



This week I will put togther my resupply boxes. I have been dehydrating food to bring and testing and trying different recipes. Here is some of the food I plan to put in my resupply boxes. From reading previous journals I have learned from other hikers your tastes  change and you get  tired of certain foods. It's best to have a lot of variety. I am not a fussy eater but I do want to make the calories count and eat a healthy diet. 


I will mix and match some of the dried foods above. I can rehydrate them in my small plastic  jar while I am walking. By dinnertime they will be rehydrated and all I have to do is add the spices and heat and eat! You don't actually cook on the trail. You heat up water and add it to dehydrated or freeze-dried foods. You fill up on fresh foods when you make it into town on resupply days.


It's all about variety


Drinks to bring, both hot and cold, including sports drinks to replace electrolytes


This is the cooking system I will be using to heat up water. All of the components fit inside in a nice, compact fashion. Total weight is 10 oz plus the weight of the fuel. A full canister of fuel will last me a 2 weeks and weights 6.7oz. It only takes 2 minutes to heat 3 cups of water!


3 comments:

  1. Hey Heart!
    Looks like everything is coming together for you. Glad to see everything is working out.
    Good luck, see you on the trail.
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you're almost ready! Be sure to let me know if there are more foods you'd like dehydrated--I can ship them to dad for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Heart,
    I'm from Germany and plan to hike the PCT in the future. Right know I try to decide on a stove (need a light one already for this summer and don't want to buy a new system when heading out for the PCT). I actually thought about a jetboil but I was wandering if I can buy gas canisters along the trail. Do you know any details about it or do you send the canisters in your re-supply boxes?
    Good luck and enjoy the trail!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete